Sandbags can be picked up at the Alamo Public Works Department located at 803 S. Tower Rd. To pickup sandbags you will need a for a voucher, which can be picked up at Alamo City Hall . A water bill or a proof of residence within Alamo city limits is needed to receive a voucher. Residents will need to bring a shovel to bag their own sand. If you have any questions please call the Alamo City Hall at 956-787-0006.
Individuals need to:
1. Fuel up vehicles
2. Stock up on non-perishable food – 3 -7 days supply recommended.
3. Stock up on water – at least 1 gallon daily per person – 3-7 days supply recommended.
4. Have flashlights, radio, batteries, hygiene items, baby wipes, toiletries, etc…
5. Have First Aid Kits, medications, prescription medications in proper locations.
6. Blankets and pillows.
7. Have cash on hand in case ATM’s or credit card machines are not available.
8. Move items such as important papers into ziplock bags, electronics to taller furniture in case of flooding.
9. Make sure emergency numbers are easily available.
10. Make sure pets are in safe areas and secure areas.
11. Trim trees, clean up property, and secure items on property to prevent flying debris.
12. Clean out ditches and gutters for better water flow.
City Phone Numbers:
1. Alamo Police Department 787-1454.
2. Alamo Fire Department 781-2004.
3. City of Alamo Service Center, 803 S. Tower Rd, 787-8321, will provide 5 sandbags per household with voucher.
Alamo Fire Department Sirens:
3 Sirens – Fire Department Emergency: Fire Department responding to call.
6 Sirens – Weather Watch: Take necessary precautions for weather situation.
9 Sirens – Dangerous Weather (i.e. tornado): Listen to radio and take cover.
American Red Cross
Main office: Harlingen 956-787-0523
Call for information on sandbags and other emergency information:
Precinct #2 Office: 956-787-1297
For any additional information call 787-0006.